The National Zoological Park of Delhi (Delhi Zoo park/ Chidiya Ghar Delhi) is a 176-acre zoo in Delhi. It is located near the Old Fort. The Delhi zoo provides shelter for around 1350 animals, belonging to about 130 species of animals and birds from all over the world.
The animals of the National Zoological Park of Delhi attract large numbers of visitors from various parts around the world.
The Delhi Zoo (Chidiya Ghar Delhi) houses many more lovely animals, like Royal Bengal Tiger, Asiatic Lion, Giraffe, Zebra, Hyena, Indian Rhinoceros, Elephants, Swamp Deer, Brow Antlered Deer, Red Jungle Fowl, Snakes, migratory birds etc.
Basic Information about Delhi Zoo/ Chidiya Ghar Delhi
- Location/ Address: Mathura Rd, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi -110003
- Delhi zoo timing: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (1st April to 15th October) & 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. (16th October to 31st March)
- Delhi zoo ticket price: ₹ 40/ Indian,₹ 20/ kids & Senior Citizen;₹ 200/ Foreigner
- Delhi zoo nearest metro station: Pragati Maiden
- Delhi Zoo closing day: Friday and National Holidays
Instructions to visit the National Zoological Park of Delhi
- It is strictly prohibited to carry food items to anyone inside the zoo premises. Milk and oatmeal are allowed only for young children. If you want to eat something, you can go to the café built within the zoo complex. This has been done from the perspective of animal safety.
- Molesting zoo animals or attempting to give them food is a punishable offense. So, it should be avoided in all ways.
- Photography inside the zoo, recording video, or making films is acceptable but you have to do a certain amount.
- Winter is the perfect time to enjoy the zoo to its fullest. The zoo is spread far and wide. So it is important to have enough energy to cover it completely.
- Mini metro or auto-rickshaw is also available to roam the zoo campus. For this, you have to lose your pocket a little.
7 Interesting facts about the National Zoological Park of Delhi
- The National Zoological Park was established in the year 1952 in the capital Delhi.
- The Zoopark Delhi was formally inaugurated on November 1, 1959, by the Minister of Agriculture, Punjab Rao Deshmukh (Bhausaheb Deshmukh).
- The Delhi zoo park (Chidiya Ghar Delhi) has a good library to provide all information on birds, animals, and plants.
- The zoo has more than 1350 animals of about 130 species brought from all over the world.
- There are more than 200 varieties of plants in the National Zoological Park which are properly displayed with their respective descriptions.
- Mobile vans are always available within the zoo park complex to help elderly visitors.
- The National Zoological Park of Delhi (Delhi Zoo) conducts a conservation breeding program every year for the Indian Rhinoceros, Royal Bengel Tiger, Asian Lion, Swamp Deer.
Top 5 nearby Places from National Zoological Park of Delhi
- Purana Quila: (0 km)
- National Handicrafts & Handlooms Museum: (1.6 km) via Mathura Rd
- National Science Centre: (1.9 km) via Mathura Rd and Bhairon Marg
- Pragati Maidan: (2.8 km) via Mathura Rd
- Humayun’s Tomb: (2.8 km) via Dr Zakir Hussain Marg
Delhi Zoo (Chidiya Ghar Delhi) Timings, Ticket Price, Entry Fee, Nearest Metro Station, Closing Day, Location, Map, and all detailed Information
? Location: Mathura Rd, Pragati Maidan, New Delhi -110003
? Nearest Metro Station: Pragati Maidan Metro Station (2 km)
? Closing Day: Friday and National Holidays
? Zoo Guide map: ₹ 10
? Photography & videography charges:
? Other Facilities: Wheel Chairs for physically challenged- Free; Cloakroom- ₹ 1/- per piece of luggage