The Lotus Temple of Delhi (Bahai Temple) is a temple belonging to the Bahaism. So its also known as Bahai Temple. Bahaism is a combination of the 9 great religions of the world.
The Lotus temple of Delhi is built in the shape of a floating half-open lotus. This temple has no idols of any God. The Lotus Temple is the only Bahai temple of worship in Asia. It attracts more than 4.5 million visitors per year.
Information about Lotus Temple of Delhi
- Status: Bahai House of Worship
- Lotus Temple Timings: October to March – 9:30 am to 5:30 pm; April to September – 9:30 am to 7:00 pm
- Open Days: Tue. to Sun. (Closed on Monday)
- Entry Fee: Free
- Established in: December 1986
- Nearest Metro Station: Kalkaji Mandir Metro Station
History of Lotus Temple of Delhi (Bahai Temple)
The Lotus Temple is also known as the Bahai Temple. It is the most visited world-famous monument in India.
The construction of the Bahai Temple was completed in the year of December 1986. It cost $ 10 million to build.
Fariborz Sahba completed the construction of the Lotus Temple in December 1986. He chose the lotus symbol as a common symbol in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Islam.
Fariborz Sahaba is an Iranian-American architect, who now lives in Canada and the United States.
It is a big mystery why it got the name, Lotus Temple? Most people know that it was named Lotus Temple because of its appearance like lotus shape. But this is half true.
Actually, the lotus is a symbol of love and purity. It is a common symbol in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Islam. It gives the message of immortality. For this reason, the temple has been built in lotus flower shape. That is why this temple is known as the Lotus Temple.
The Lotus Temple belongs to the Bahá’í sect, hence it is known as the Bahá’í Temple.
Top 6 Places to visit near Bahai Temple Delhi
- Kalkaji Temple: (0.6k m) via Lotus Temple Rd and Kalkaji Rd
- ISKCON Temple Delhi: (2.4 km) via Captain Gaur Marg and Raja Dhirsain
- Asthakunj Park:(3.4 km) via Outer Ring Rd
- Delhi Haat, Kidwai Nagar: (7.9 km) via Captain Gaur Marg and NH 48
- National Zoological Park: (8.9 km) via Mathura Rd
- Kutub Minar: (9.8 km) via Outer Ring Rd
Know more about Bahai Temple Delhi
There are no altars and no idols of any God inside the Bahai Temple. There are a total of 27 lotus petals in this temple which are in a free state. An eye-catching feature of the temple is the 9 pools of water situated around the petals. They give the appearance of a half-flowered lotus in a pond. When it is illuminated at night the entire temple area looks magnificent.
The Bahai Temple in Delhi is spread over 26 acres of land. This Bahai temple has 9 entrances that open into a huge central hall. The height of the temple is about 40 meters. The temple has a seating capacity of 1300 people at a time. 2500 people can accommodate in it at one time.
9 Interesting Facts about Lotus Temple of Delhi
- It attracts about 4.5 million visitors per year.
- Lotus is a common symbolism in Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Islam.
- It is the first temple in Delhi that makes use of solar power.
- The Lotus Temple gets its name due to its shape. The temple is built in the shape of a floating half-open lotus.
- Nowadays Iconic Lotus Temple turning yellow due to high pollution.
- The 27 petals of lotus are made of special concrete clad with white marble.
- This temple has no idols of any God.
- It features a prayer hall for meditation for all religious people.
- Due to its uniqueness, it is about to get the status of a world heritage site by UNESCO.
Frequently Asked Questions
Fariborz Sahba built the Lotus Temple of Delhi.
Lotus Temple is a Baha’i House of Worship.
Lotus Temple was built in 1986.
Lotus Temple (Bahai Temple) was built for unity of all religions and humanity.
Lotus Temple in Delhi is located at: Lotus Temple Road, Shambhu Dayal Bagh, Bahapur, New Delhi, Delhi 110019, India
In Winter, Last Entry 5.00 pm. & in Summer, Last Entry 6.30 pm.
Timing of Lotus Temple delhi is, 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM (in Winter) & 9:00 AM – 7:00 PM (in Summer)
The nearest Lotus Temple metro station is Kalkaji Mandir Metro Station.